Traveling with Animals
We know what your pet’s comfort and safety mean to you. We have prepared useful information for you about the conditions governing their carriage on Czech Airlines flights.
Live animals can only be transported to countries where the regulations of the country permit, and subject to the terms and conditions specified by that country. For detailed information, contact the country’s embassy in the Czech Republic or the Czech State Veterinary Administration.
If you wish to carry an animal, you always need to make a booking. Carriage of an animal can be refused due to the animal’s poor state of health or a threatening infection at the country of origin. We are also entitled to request a veterinary service approval of the carriage or the box used for carrying the animal.
For more information about carrying animals, see the Conditions of Carriage.
Animals can travel on board of Czech Airlines flights:
- With you in the cabin (as cabin baggage)
- In the hold, as checked baggage
- In the hold, as cargo
Carrying Animals in the Aircraft Cabin
The only animals that are permitted to travel in the cabin with you are a dog, cat, rabbit, or chinchilla, and only subject to the following conditions:
- The animal must be placed in a special crate (max. dimensions 43 x 30 x 27 cm / 17 x 12 x 11 in, max. weight of the create with animal 8 kg / 17 lb)
- You must report to check-in at least 60 minutes before your flight
- Only two small animals can travel in one plane (one in Economy Class and one in Business Class)
- Charge for the second piece of baggage will be collected for the carriage of your animal
An exception applies to rescue and police dogs on duty, and assistance dogs for passengers with handicaps. These animals are carried in the cabin preferentially, without a crate, and at no charge.
Carriage of Animals in the Airplane Hold as Checked Baggage
As checked baggage, you can carry a dog, cat, rabbit, or a ferret in the aircraft’s hold (other animals can only be carried as cargo). Animals are carried subject to the following conditions:
- The carriage of animals in the hold as checked baggage is permitted only on flights to certain countries
- Your animal must be carried in a crate with a solid bottom and openings for breathing (max. dimensions are 125 x 69 x 80 cm)
- Your name, address, and telephone number must be marked on the crate
- Animals must be provided with the relevant documents
- Charge for the second piece of baggage + charge with respect to the actual size and weight of the crate including animal will be collected for the carriage of your animal
The animal will be checked in when you check your other baggage. The airport staff will check whether the crate complies with the regulations, whether the animal has enough space in its crate, and whether food and water are provided, which can be added from the outside. At the same time, they will check your animal’s papers and health. Then your animal will be handed to the aircraft loading staff.
Carriage of Animals in the Hold as Cargo
Live animals can also be carried in the aircraft hold as cargo. These services are provided by our subsidiary Cargo. For more details about this type of carriage of animals, click here.